Monday, December 19, 2011

Is it "fun" or "funny"?

Listening to people who know English as their second, third, or even fourth language is very entertaining; it’s fun and funny. It’s amusing to learn what words English-learners have difficulty learning or in what context words and their meanings change for us. For those who learn English as their first language (and this goes for any language) even if doesn’t truly make grammatical or logical sense, it still makes sense to us because we have nothing to compare it to. Some words in English are so close to others that I’m surprised people bother to learn it at all; I would certainly give up. For example, our host “mom” used the word “funny” today, where “fun” would have been the appropriate choice. The words are so close, and can overlap, but not always, and not in the situation she was describing. I wonder what words I have confused and no one has bothered to tell me….

No comments:

Post a Comment